Are you looking to improve the clarity, depth and definition of you music mixes? Want to know the secrets of a successful commercial mix engineer? Over two intensive days, our Mixing Techniques Course will cover a wide range of topics, with hints and tips from an experienced high profile mix engineer that will help you to get the best results from your material.
- An insight into the mixing process of a skilled audio professional with plenty of opportunity to ask questions.
- A thorough understanding of mixing process of music including mix preparation and workflows.
- Advanced practical mixing tips & tricks with working commercial examples.
- A solid understanding of the theoretical principles of sound in relation to the mixing process including how EQ, time based effects and dynamic processors work.
- A comprehensive course reference book explaining all the topics covered in the class.
Are you confused by the different types of dynamics and EQs, how to organise your projects to get the best results, grouping, sub-mixing, parallel compression, bussing and sidechains, getting the clarity, depth and definition that commercial records seem to have? Our Mixing Course is aimed at producers, musicians, teachers, composers and anyone with a general interest in mixing music.
A basic understanding of music technology is desirable before taking this course. If in doubt you may wish to think about taking our 1-day Introduction to Music Technology course. This course is a great starting point if you are just starting out and are confused by the myriad of options on offer.
The course aims to improve the quality of your music mixes by developing a better practical and theoretical understanding of equalisation, dynamic control and time based effects. As well as improving project workflow, this course also explores advanced mixing techniques like parallel compression and side-chaining.
- Introduction & Basic Concepts: what is mixing?, what is sound?, optimizing the listening environment, tools of the trade, practical exercise 1
- Mix Preparation & Digital Signal Processing: audio sources, sample rate, bit depth & file format, setting up the session, removing unwanted noise and redundant audio, setting up a working mix, hybrid mixes. location markers, soloing, grouping & sub-grouping, digital signal processing (DSP) issues, practical exercise 2
- Equalisation (EQ): what is EQ? frequency bands, types of EQ, EQ from analogue to digital, practical applications, general guidelines, practical demonstration 3
- Introduction to Dynamics: why do we need dynamic control? compressors, limiters, practical applications, gates & expanders, advanced dynamics techniques
- Reverb: reverb in the natural world, why do we need artificial reverb, types of artificial reverb (analogue & digital), digital reverb parameters, reverb in the mix, summary
- Effects: inserts or send effects? delay effects, modulation effects, special effects, enhancers
The above is practically applied by an experienced mix engineer using a commercial project in a high spec studio. You will also learn first-hand advanced mixing tips and tricks as well as the fundamentals.
On Day-1 you will cover essential audio theory in preparation for entering the studio on day 2. This will take place in our air conditioned Apple technology classroom. Equipped with Genelec monitoring and projection system, every student has access to an Intel iMac workstation.
On Day-2 you will work in our state of the art Avid ICON studio with Genelec monitoring. Our trainer will use commercial projects to demonstrate mixing techniques discussed on day one of the course, as well giving you some very useful tips and tricks. We have chosen this studio as there is comfortable cinema seating and it easy to project plug in settings onto our acoustically transparent cinema screen. Everyone in class can hear and see clearly exactly what the teacher is doing.
While this course carries no formal certification or academic qualification, you will receive a nice "Alchemea" certificate of completion.
|It is advisable to bring a notepad and a pen to take notes during the course. Everything else will be provided for you!|
This venue for this course it at our Windsor Centre facility in Islington.
Alchemea, The Windsor Centre, Windsor Street, London, N1 8QG
Click here for a map
|You will find the pre-requisites for this course over on the overview tab of this course page.|
|You can now apply & pay course fees online via the Dates/Apply tab above. Alternatively you can call 020 7359 3986 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the enrolment process.|
Choose from the course dates below and click 'add to cart' if you wish to apply & pay your course fees/deposit online. If you would like to enquire about different payment methods or anything else please email email@example.com or use the 'Register Interest' button above.