- Minimum age: 18
- Music Tech Foundation Knowledge
- Course Notes
AN INTENSIVE 2-DAY HANDS ON MUSIC MIXING COURSE IN LONDON
Are you looking to improve the clarity, depth and definition of you music mixes? Want to know the secrets of a successful commercial mix engineer? Over two intensive days, our Mixing Techniques Course will cover a wide range of topics, with hints and tips from an experienced high profile mix engineer that will help you to get the best results from your material.
- An insight into the mixing process of a skilled audio professional with plenty of opportunity to ask questions.
- A thorough understanding of mixing process of music including mix preparation and workflows.
- Advanced practical mixing tips & tricks with working commercial examples.
- A solid understanding of the theoretical principles of sound in relation to the mixing process including how EQ, time based effects and dynamic processors work.
- A comprehensive course reference book explaining all the topics covered in the class.
Are you confused by the different types of dynamics and EQs, how to organise your projects to get the best results, grouping, sub-mixing, parallel compression, bussing and sidechains, getting the clarity, depth and definition that commercial records seem to have? Our Mixing Course is aimed at producers, musicians, teachers, composers and anyone with a general interest in mixing music.
A basic understanding of music technology is desirable before taking this course. If in doubt you may wish to think about taking our 1-day Introduction to Music Technology course. This course is a great starting point if you are just starting out and are confused by the myriad ofoptions on offer.
- I attended the mixing weekend course in December 2014 and can strongly recommend it. Marcel van Limbeek was enthusiastic and endlessly interesting, and I learned a different angle and insight on many topics I knew a lot about already. For example, what compressors actually achieve under various different scenarios - listen to Marcel and your ears will be much wiser!
- Marcel was such an inspirational tutor and full of enthusiasm for mixing music. He shared with us so many pro tricks and explained his methods very clearly, which was great. I wanted to try them all out as soon as I got back. ). I have had a really enjoyable and fun time and would love to come back in the future. Well done once again for putting on a great range of relevant courses for people to choose from and for inviting tutors who really know their stuff and are willing to share their experience with us.
- I Will be telling all my friends how great this course was. The tutor is so knowledgeable. I learned more in these two days than I did in two years of college.
- Very enjoyable, I would definitely recommend. I'm actually excited about mixing now whereas the thought of if used to fill me with dread.
- "In the hope of improving my production skills I decided to take a the Logic 101, Recording and Mixing weekend courses at Alchemea and I was not disappointed. The facilities were great, the courses were taught in more detail than I could have hoped for and the tutors were not only knowledgeable but passionate about the recording of music which was in itself inspiring. I came away having filled vast gaps in my knowledge of recording, production and mixing. Many thanks to Marcel, Alex and Gary. I will definitely be back for more."
The course aims to improve the quality of your music mixes by developing a better practical and theoretical understanding of equalisation, dynamic control and time based effects. As well as improving project workflow, this course also explores advanced mixing techniques like parallel compression and side-chaining.
- Introduction & Basic Concepts: What is mixing? What is sound? Optimizing the listening environment, tools of the trade, practical exercise 1
- Mix Preparation & Digital Signal Processing: audio sources, sample rate, bit depth & file format, setting up the session, removing unwanted noise and redundant audio, setting up a working mix, hybrid mixes. location markers, soloing, grouping & sub-grouping, digital signal processing (DSP) issues, practical exercise 2
- Equalisation (EQ): what is EQ? frequency bands, types of EQ, EQ from analogue to digital, practical applications, general guidelines, practical demonstration 3
- Introduction to Dynamics: why do we need dynamic control? compressors, limiters, practical applications, gates & expanders, advanced dynamics techniques
- Reverb: reverb in the natural world, why do we need artificial reverb, types of artificial reverb (analogue & digital), digital reverb parameters, reverb in the mix, summary
- Effects: inserts or send effects? delay effects, modulation effects, special effects, enhancers
The above is practically applied by an experienced mix engineer using a commercial project in a high spec studio. You will also learn first-hand advanced mixing tips and tricks as well as the fundamentals.
On Day 1 you will cover essential audio theory in preparation for entering the studio on Day 2. This will take place in our air conditioned Apple technology classroom. Equipped with Genelec monitoring and projection system, every student has access to an Intel iMac workstation.
On Day 2 you will work in our state of the art Avid ICON studio with Genelec monitoring. Our trainer will use commercial projects to demonstrate mixing techniques discussed on day one of the course, as well giving you some very useful tips and tricks. We have chosen this studio as there is comfortable cinema seating and it easy to project plug in settings onto our acoustically transparent cinema screen. Everyone in class can hear and see clearly exactly what the teacher is doing.
|Short courses at Alchemea usually run from 10am - 6pm each day.|
|It is advisable to bring a notepad and a pen to take notes during the course. Everything else will be provided for you!|
This venue for this course it at our Windsor Centre facility in Islington.
Alchemea College, The Windsor Centre, 15 - 29 Windsor Street, London, N1 8QG
Click here for a map
|You will find the pre-requisites for this course over on the overview tab of this course page.|
|For short courses you can now apply & pay course fees online via the Dates/Apply tab above. Alternatively you can call 020 7359 3986 or email email@example.com to begin the enrolment process.|